Monday, July 23, 2007

First XC in GWR

Well, it's taken me 12 weeks after purchasing a 1/2 share in a LS1-f, GWR, that I've finally taken it out of the circuit! After seeing my syndicate partner taking WR for a run on Saturday, we de-rigged the glider and moved it north to the Darling Downs Soaring Club (http://www.ddsc.org.au/) for the next month, where I'll be training with Allan Barnes for the Australian Club Class Nationals in Kingaroy (http://www.kingaroygliding.com.au/). Allan owns a LS1-f also, so should provide some excellent practice for our future in team flying.

We took an early launch with a planned task of a 100km FAI traingle, then complete it as many times as possible. The aim of the flight was to see how we fly together, compare gliders, go for rythm and to help set goals for the future. Unfortunately though, my radio was playing up so made things hard for our first flight together, however, we did see that it was going to be a partnership that should work.

The past 2 months of soaring in Australia have been dismal, Sunday 22nd was the first decent day we've seen for some time. My flight can be downloaded/seen here: http://www3.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?flightId=-309851098 Allans flight can be found here if your interested in overlaying the two with SeeYou: http://www3.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?flightId=-226582357

My Stats: 177km @ 86km/hr, avg climb for the flight, 3.6kts (28% thermalling), 42.8:1 for 15.6km glides, 7% extra distance covered in diversions.

Was a nice day, cu's to 3500agl, 12kts of ESE winds which provided a bit of route planning and added challenge when low. I'm finding the LS1 to be a pleasant glider to fly, likes 75kts in the cruise and around the 50kt mark in the climb. Looking forward to spending another 50hrs in it to master the climb.

Unfortunately though, on the second leg of the second lap of the 100km task Allan and I hit some overdevelopment. The ground got cool, and the turnpoint looked horrible. I took my last climb to near base and headed off, unfortunately a little to fast. Allan was out in front calling back what he could while 5km ahead of me and about the same height. I rounded the turn (about 500' lower than allan) quiet low and headed for every trigger source I could find. Two hills and a red paddock later, I found myself very low. Couple turns here and there, until at 400' I decided to peel off and land in the paddock below (on the side of a hill!). All went well, Allan managed to scrape away and get glide to home (32km away) and came and picked me up about an hour later. Thanks mate.

Am very happy to be at the DDSC club, very energetic and XC goal orientated club. On the Sunday many took on the challenge of flying the first 400km flight of the season, unfortunately there were a couple of outlandings (on top of my own) after the overdevelopment. Heard all the o/l's went well, hope you all got back to the airfield safe and sound.

I'm hoping to keep this blog up to date with all my weekend preparations for future gliding championships, fingers crossed I'll be able to add a few pictures from time to time.


'til then, safe circles
Woolley

No comments: